counting down my top 10 tips for surviving college!
10) Get lots of sleep - Seems pretty simple right? WRONG I leave for my college bus at 7am and don’t get back until 6pm I find it hard to spend time with my family and friends and still find time to look after myself and do all my work. you need to get into a pattern…so if you shower everyday then maybe change to showering every 2 days. you should always make sure you spend time with your family and friends though because all work and no play…well you have probably seen the shining…
9) Communicate with staff - I’m not sure about you guys but i always found it hard talking to teachers and my school in college you need to keep a relationship with the staff they are all going to be pretty friendly. on my first day my teacher did exercises and games with us and we had a laugh and it made you feel part of a team. even if you don’t know all the staff at least have one close one then if anything is worrying you such as “i haven’t got a clue what to write about in this assignment” then you have someone to talk to.
8) Do your work -basically if you want to make something of yourself then don’t piss about do your work put 110% into it nothing really i can say about this…
7) Follow rules - pretty simple. in my college we have to wear these stupid badges around our neck to show that we are students and they are so annoying but they are used so some randomer can’t just walk into the college. rules are put in place for a reason, they aren’t there to piss you off and ruin your fun they are there to protect you.
6) Talk - this one seems pretty stupid…but sometimes its easier to sit at the back of the class put your earphones in and ignore everything but that isn’t the right way to go. Your feedback and input matters what if you had some fucking awesome idea but were to afraid to say and then some other bitch says it instead and they get credit? you wont always be right but you wont always be wrong either.
5) (phew half way there!) - Explore! - on my first day the teacher had us go off in groups and try and find a bunch of places around the college, it was fun because without that i wouldn’t know where the fuck anything was and i wouldn’t of made awesome friends. on your free time grab some friends and go searching for random rooms what would happen if you had a room change and didn’t have a clue where s204 was? xD
4) Dress appropriately - this is so important. this one girl in my class wears massive heels and like 3inches of make up over her face and it just isn’t practical, its college not a modeling job yeah sure dress fancy and look nice but there is a line to cross…
3) have fun - yeah a cliche thing to say but its so true. your college days are the last few years that you get to spend being a kid and growing up so take pictures laugh to much remember the stupid things and just rock it out.
2) (nearly there guys!) - Focus on your future! - The awesome thing about college is that the course you are on is the subject matter of the job you want. If you want to be a teacher or a doctor or a photographer then you need to work to get there and college is the easiest way.
my number one top tip to survive college is…….
1) BE YOURSELF - at the end of the day you have to be true to you! it is easy to get sucked it to being someone else but you need to stand true and strong about who you are. when i first started college no one on my course was like me. i was the weird “emo” kid that wore all black and listened to devil music and so i tried to be someone else…i bought “girly” clothes and tried to be someone different but it didn’t work i felt stupid and looked stupid. but hey being me got me some friends in the end…and they may not look like me or listen to the same music…but they don’t try to make me something I’m not and we all have a laugh about my lack of girlyness.
So yeah i know most of these were pretty shit but that’s all i can think of that got me by college.